The DeWitt Hotel, seen here in 1904, stood on the
southeast corner of Ann and Second Street.
|The Ohio River Railroad station was built at the southwest corner of Second and Ann Streets in 1884. The ORR ran north and south along the river, from Wheeling to Huntington. The station was torn down in 1959.|
Looking south toward the Ann Street station in 1957.
The hotel suffered an explosion in its rear quarters during the 1913 flood. Note the missing chimney.
Looking north on Ann Street from Second during the 1907 flood; the spire behind the
buildings belongs to the First Methodist Church near the corner of Fifth and Juliana.
Looking north on Ann from Second St. in the 1940s. On the right is the Oil Well Supply
Company at 208 Ann. On the left, at Third Street, is Dana Wholesale Grocers
(102 Third). In the background is W. H. Smith Hardware at 119 Third St.
Looking south on Ann Street from around Second Street toward Fort Boreman during the 1913 flood. On the right are two buildings that housed Benjamin Nathan's clothing store and C.C. Martin's wholesale grocery, both of which were destroyed by fire within days. Notation reads: "Building on right burned right after this was taken. Water now up to second story windows, 18 feet deep. Train in distance is on a high trestle."
Looking south on Ann Street after the March 1913 flood and the fire that destroyed several
buildings at Second Street. The Ann Street Railroad Station is on the left of the photo.
The South Penn Oil gasoline filling station, seen here in the early 1930s, stood at 431 Ann,
at the foot of the Parkersburg-Belpre bridge. Gas stations stood on this spot for decades.
Red Castle Tourist Home
Chittum Buick, seen here about 1958, was located at 625 Ann.
(Courtesy of the Chittum family.)
The Bentley Gerwig warehouse stood at 516 Ann Street, at the southeast corner of Sixth.
(Photo courtesy of Jeremy Bungard.)
Camden-Clark Hospital at Eighth and Ann (left), and two houses at
the beginning of Murdoch Avenue, seen here in the early 1940s.
Looking south on Ann from Eighth Street in the early 1900s. Camden-Clark
Hospital now stands in the area off to the right of the photo. The first
house on the left is now the Duranti law office.
(Thanks to Jeremy Bungard)
Looking down Ann from Ninth Street during the 1913 flood.
The G. A. Burt home (seen here in 1897) stood at 804 Ann Street, on the corner of Eighth Street. It later became the Carney Funeral Home and was finally the Burdett/Lindsey Funeral Home before the business moved to Market Street. The house was razed in the 1960s and its distinctive fireplace mantel was moved into the Cliff Malley home at 1404 Avery Street. (Thanks to Pat McGuirk)
The Burt house in the 1940s.
Looking south on Ann from around Ninth Street during the 1913 flood.
Looking northeast up Tenth Street from the west side of Ann Street in early
1951; the home with the mansard room in the center of the photo is 1000 Ann;
the First Methodist Church at Tenth and Juliana is in the background.
Looking down Tenth Street at the house at 1000 Ann Street, in the 1940s.
1001 Ann Street in 1907.
1109 Ann Street in 1907.
The Joseph B. Neale home at 1110 Ann Street, seen here in the 1940s.
C.T. Hiteshew's house at 1208 Ann Street, around 1909.
The Peter Van Winkle home at 1209 Ann Street, seen here in the 1940s.
The Peter Van Winkle house at 1209 Ann Street.
(Photo courtesy of Jeremy Bungard.)
1217 Ann Street, in the 1940s.
(Photo courtesy of Emmy Lou Leeton)
1245 Ann Street in 1907.
Can you identify where this shot was taken on Ann?
BACK TO PARKERSBURG HOMEPAGE
Content © Copyright 2001-2016 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.
Site design © Copyright 2001-2016 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site: ElectricEarl.com