UPDATED: 4-20-2013
PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA:   A VINTAGE PORTRAIT

BLENNERHASSETT HOTEL




The Blennerhassett Hotel circa 1907.


The Blennerhassett Hotel, located at the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was erected in 1889 by a former city mayor, William Chancellor, who later built the larger Chancellor Hotel three blocks north (see Corner of Seventh and Market Streets). Named after Harman Blennerhassett, who settled on nearby Blennerhassett Island in 1799, the Blennerhassett Hotel was used primarily by railroad men and traveling salesmen for many years, then later became a residential hotel. After an extensive restoration that preserved its Victorian-era exterior, the hotel reopened in 1986, furnished with antiques. It is now Parkersburg's premier hotel and is registered as a national historical landmark. For more information about the hotel today, visit http://www.BlennerhassettHotel.com.




The Blennerhassett Hotel in 1900.
(Photo courtesy of Artcraft Studio, 519-521 Market Street,
Parkersburg, WV 26101; (304) 485-5771.)





The Blennerhassett Hotel in 1900.



A turn of the century look up Market past the Blennerhassett Hotel,
in color (above) and in black & white (below).



Looking north on Market toward Fourth in the early 1900s.





A couple of gents sit outside the front door in the early twentieth century.





Looking north on Market in front of the hotel, 1920s.





Looking south on Market toward the Blennerhassett Hotel during the March 1913 flood.





Looking west on Fourth toward Market during the 1913 flood, the Blennerhassett is on the left.





The hotel was under water during the 1913 flood.





Looking west on Fourth Street toward the Blennerhassett (behind the Guardsmen) during an early flood.
(Photo courtesy of Amy Johnson.)



 





The hotel in the 1940s.





This letter
was mailed
in 1893.










BACK TO PARKERSBURG HOMEPAGE






Content © Copyright 2001-2013 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.


Site design © Copyright 2001-2013 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site:   ElectricEarl.com