PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA: A VINTAGE PORTRAIT
A. P. DONAGHHO STONEWARE
Stoneware maker Alexander Polk Donaghho, who moved to Parkersburg from Fredericktown, Pennsylvania, in 1870, built his kiln at what became known as Pottery Junction because of the area's deposits of clay. Pottery Junction is now the intersection of Murdoch and Emerson Avenues, just below Terrapin Park. His factory closed around 1903 or '04. Donaghho pottery is still very much in demand, but beware of copies. On many of them Donaghho is misspelled Donoggho.
This 1870 crock recently sold for more than $3,000. This 14-inch-tall jar was hand-decorated by Donaghho, but because of the time required for such detail, he soon gave it up and used stencilling.
This is a fake Donaghho stoneware crock. Note the misspelling. Thanks to Steve Moody.
Content © Copyright 2004-2016 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.
Site design © Copyright 2000-2016 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site: ElectricEarl.com