|Willard Elementary School, seen here around 1907, was built at Thirteenth and Ann Streets on the bluff above Murdock Avenue around 1901. It replaced the home of local civic leader J.C. Nash, which had been converted into a schoolhouse in 1895 and then torn down five years later. Willard was later rechristened Nash School, known to every neighborhood kid for years as "Nash, Nash, dirty old trash, throw it in the river and make a big splash." The Nash building is still standing, but it was closed down as a school in the late 1980s.|
|The Thirteenth Street School, built in 1880, sat on the southeast corner of Thirteenth & Avery. It was turned into a book repository in the late 1940s and torn down in the 1960s. Photo circa 1907.||The Garfield School, located on Avery between Fourth and Fifth Streets, was built in the 1880s, closed in 1951, and torn down a couple of years later.|
Park School, on the northeast corner of Seventh and Park, in an
undated photo. The school was demolished in the early 1990s.
Park School at its opening in 1913.
Jefferson School, seen here in 1935, is located on Plum Street.
It later became the new Washington Junior High School.
Sumner School (seen here after closing down because of the U.S. Supreme
Court's anti-segregation decision) was Parkersburg's black school for
grades one through twelve. See the SUMNER SCHOOL page.
|The McGuffey's Reader was used to educate every child in Parkersburg from the late 19th century into the 1920s.
BACK TO PARKERSBURG HOMEPAGE
Content © Copyright 2003-2012 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.
Site design © Copyright 2001-2012 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site: ElectricEarl.com