UPDATED: 7-22-2012



The Post Office & Custom House, seen here around 1900, was at the southwest corner. It was completed in 1878 and torn down in the 1960s to make way for the current Federal Building. A new post office was built just south of it around 1930.

First Methodist Church was built on the northeast corner in 1874 and razed in 1911.   Looking northwest toward the Post Office at the turn of the century.

Looking south on Juliana at Fifth in 1897, Trinity Episcopal and its rectory are on the left and the Post Office is on the right.   The northwest corner in 1897. The large building was the old Masonic lodge and the smaller one was the Singer Sewing Machine store. The lodge is gone but the store is still standing.

  Looking eastward on Fifth across Juliana toward First Methodist Church on the northeast corner and, beyond it, the City Building at Fifth and Market. (Photo courtesy of Dan Kemper.)

Looking west toward the Ohio River. The 1872 B&O railroad bridge is visible, but the Parkersburg-Belpre bridge would not be built until 1914. The Post Office & Custom House is on the left.

Looking north on Juliana during the 1913 flood.
The Post Office is on the left.
  The Trinity Church on Juliana
during the 1913 flood.

Looking up lower Juliana Street
during the 1913 flood.
  Looking south on Juliana toward Fifth from atop the railroad bridge at Sixth Street, during the 1884 flood. The Trinity Church and its rectory are easily visible.

Looking west on Fifth from Juliana during the 1913 flood.

Looking north toward the intersection
during the late January 1937 flood.

Looking toward Sixth Street from Fifth and Juliana
during the January 1937 flood.

Dudley Florists, next to the Methodist church,
on the northeast corner.


Content © Copyright 2001-2012 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.

Site design © Copyright 2000-2012 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site:   ElectricEarl.com