UPDATED: 7-2-2016
PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA:   A VINTAGE PORTRAIT

SEVENTH STREET




Looking west at the fork of Seventh (left) and 7½ Street (to the right)
from Juliana Street during the 1913 flood.





Looking up Seventh Street from Juliana during a 1940 snow. In the background are
the Union Trust Building and the Chancellor Hotel at the corner of Market.
Photo by Arthur Rothstein.





The corner of Juliana and Seventh during the 1937 flood.





Looking east from Market Street in the early 1900s, with the Chancellor
Hotel on the right and the Union Trust building on the left. Part of
the sky was whited out by the photographer or postcard printer.





Looking east toward Avery Street and the Jackson Apartments.





The Willard Building, later called the Jackson Apartments, stood at the southeast corner of
Seventh (going left) and Avery. This photo was taken around 1900. By 1907, several members
of the local Jackson family lived at 402 Seventh, the first apartment on the right of the photo.





Looking southwest toward the Willard Building.





Hecks Grocery at 408 Seventh in the early twentieth century.





The Parkersburg YWCA stood at 411 Seventh Street between Avery and Green. It was
formerly the home of Henry C. Jackson. To the right is the old Parkersburg High School,
which later became Washington Jr. High--see Parkersburg High School (old) page.
The white building on the left was the home of Walter Gerwig.





Before becoming the YWCA in the early 1900s, 411 Seventh was
the home of Henry C. Jackson (seen here around 1897).
(Photo courtesy of Linda Meyers)





Looking west on Seventh from Green Street in 1929.
Washington Junior High School is on the right.
(Photo courtesy of Artcraft Studio, 519-521 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101; (304) 485-5771.)





Sherman Dils' Ford Motormart, seen here around 1925, stood
at 501 Seventh at the northeast corner of Green Street.





A streetcar crosses the intersection of Seventh and Green Streets in the 1930s.
The Coliseum is in the background.
(Courtesy of Artcraft Studio, 519-521 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101; 304 485-5771)





Judge John J. Jackson built this home at 519 Seventh Street, at the corner of Quincy Street,
in 1867 and lived there until his death in 1907. His daughter lived there until her death
fourteen years later. The American Legion purchased the house in 1945.
It burned down in the 1970s. This photo was taken in 1897.
Photo courtesy of Dan Kemper.





This Pure gas station stood at the corner of Seventh and Quincy in the early 1930s.





Justus May Johnson, who made his living as a conductor for the B&O Railroad, and his wife ran a small
news depot out of their house at 550 Seventh Street in the early 1900s. (Courtesy of Amy Johnson.)





The Parkersburg Brewing Company, seen here in 1907, stood at 648 Seventh, just east of Quincy.





The brewing operation around 1896.





Henry C. Ruf (left) and Bill Stetro get read to haul beer in front of the Parkersburg Brewery.
Photo courtesy of Louis Ruf, 1500 23rd St., Parkersburg WV 26101.





The old brewery is now the Daley Storage Building.
Photo by Tony Kemp, The Parkersburg News.



Looking east on Seventh Street from the Chancellor Hotel in the 1940s. The buildings from the bottom left of the page are (1) Leavitt Funeral Home at 401 Seventh (which is still there), (2) the Walter Gerwig house at 403, (3) the Y.W.C.A., (4) Washington Juniior High School and, further up Seventh across Green Street, the Coliseum (now an automobile showroom). Across Seventh Street on the lower right are the Jackson Apartments. Near the top of the photo is the Parkersburg Brewery Company building. See this same view from 1977 in PANORAMA FROM ATOP THE CHANCELLOR HOTEL.
(Courtesy of Artcraft Studio, 519-521 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101; 304 485-5771)



Moses Nedeff stands in the Family Store located at 675 Seventh Street, at the corner of Swann Street, circa 1945. Thanks to the efforts of his older brother, well-known Parkersburg grocer Mike Nedeff, Moses immigrated from Syria to the U S in 1937. After operating several grocery stores and taverns around town, he purchased the Quick building at the corner of Seventh and Swann Streets in 1944 and opened his famous Family Store and sold groceries there for many years. Moses Nedeff raised seven children at the family home around the corner on Swann.   (Courtesy of Roger Nedeff.)





Looking west toward the St. James Hotel at 800 Seventh
Street (at the corner of Lynn Street) in 1912.





William H. Bargeloh ran a grocery at 725 Seventh St. for many years.
This photo was taken in the early 1930s.





A young mother walks her baby in the 900 block in 1927. The house across
the street, in the middle of the photo, is 905 Seventh. The house to the
left of it is no longer there. (Thanks to Ginny Gallaher)
(Photo by Henry L. Ruf, Sr., courtesy of Louis Ruf)





Employees of the Parkersburg Creamery Co. at 841 Seventh Street
pose in front of the building in 1929.



The original James B. "Jimmie" Colombo and his wife Anna opened their 50-seat Italian restaurant on Seventh Street in 1954. Their son, James E., was later the mayor of Parkersburg. Colombo's Restaurant, which now seats well over 400 people, is operated today by grandson James M.





Oakland, at 1414 Seventh, was built in the 1830s.
It's one of Parkersburg's oldest homes.
(Courtesy of Betty Lutz)




BACK TO PARKERSBURG HOMEPAGE







© Copyright 2002-2016 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.


Site design © Copyright 2001-2016 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site:   ElectricEarl.com