CORNER OF EIGHTH STREET, ANN STREET AND MURDOCH AVENUE
This photo was taken before 1911. Murdoch Avenue runs to the left, Ann Street to the right. A third street, Eighth Street, meets the intersection from the right. A windmill gas station was later built on this corner, and Camden-Clark Hospital was later built just to the left of the photo. The Daughters of the American Revolution monument in the middle of the intersection is now located in the City Park.
Looking west on Eighth Street toward Ann Street (off to the right) and the beginning of Murdoch Avenue during the March 1913 flood. Beyond Ann/Murdoch is Park Place, a residential area that was later razed during the expansion of Camden-Clark Hospital and the widening of Garfield Avenue in the late 1960s.
Camden-Clark Hospital at Eighth and Ann, and several houses
at the beginning of Murdoch Avenue.
A closeup of the monument in the middle of the intersection honoring the soldiers of the American Revolution buried in Wood County. Erected by the James Wood chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1908, its plaque named Captain James Neal, Captain John James, Lieutenant Samuel Bell, Ordinance Sergeant Frances Langfitt, Bailey Rice, Richard Mayhew, Matthew Maddox and Spencer Sharp.
BACK TO PARKERSBURG HOMEPAGE
© Copyright 2001-2010 Jim Dawson. All Rights Reserved.
Site design © Copyright 2001-2010 Earl P. Reinhalter. All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster's site: ElectricEarl.com